The spring paddling season is underway in Australia!
As part of our efforts to promote the growth of ocean paddling around the world, we’re stoked to announce our good friends at Vaikobi are part of the team who have been able to bring the 20 Beaches Ocean Classic back to the Australian ocean racing schedule on December 15 after a three year hiatus.
Thanks to the amazing support of headline sponsor, Shaw and Partners and supporting partners KPMG and Fitness First, the 2018 Shaw and Partners 20 Beaches Ocean Classic is going to be one of the top races of the season and has received the formal designation of a Australian Ocean Racing Series (AORS) Major Event.
Importantly, the Early Bird Entry closes on November 15th, so don’t miss out on your chance to enter this race at the Early Bird price of $110 AUD ($79 USD) which is fantastic value.
Top reasons to attend the 20 Beaches Ocean Classic
- Iconic Race: There is not a more iconic ocean paddling race on the East Coast of Australia with the history of the 20 Beaches Ocean Classic, so get set to be part of history when the great race returns this December.
There will be a host of former winners competing as well as some of the best ocean padders from around the world, so get along and rub shoulders with the world’s best.
- Point to Point Race Track: Only dangerous conditions will stop organizers from running a point to point race from Fishermans to Station Beach, so get set to race on what is the most scenic and awesome race tracks in the world. Note: organizers have prepared a super backup “Storm Course” ready in the event that conditions are too big to run the normal offshore course. The race will be conducted by the professional team from Ocean Paddler led by Dean Gardiner and Yanda Morrison.
- Free Vaikobi Ocean Performance Race Tee: Each competitor will receive a free Vaikobi Performance Race Tee valued at $55. There is half your entry value right there!
- Free Beer and Burger at the Bavarian Manly for the presentation, 5pm Saturday, December 15. This is going to be a great party and a fantastic way to finish the last ocean race of the year. Come hang out with all your paddling mates to celebrate a great year at one of the best venues in Sydney.
- Relay Race: This year, 20 Beaches Ocean Classic is offering a relay option for those who are looking to share the race with a friend. The relay change over point will be at Mona Vale Basin.
- $80,000 Prize Money: Thanks to fantastic sponsors: Shaw and Partners, KPMG and Fitness First, organizers are thrilled to be able to offer a $80,000 AUD prize purse to be spread across the divisions. Combined with the Doctor in Perth, the prize money on offer for these two races makes this the most lucrative ocean racing series in the world!
- Safety: 20 Beaches Ocean Classic will be using the Safe TRX mobile phone tracking app for this race to support an already strong on and off water safety team. Safety is the number one priority for this race, so if you are looking to compete in your first ocean race, then this is the one to do! The Mona Vale mid race turning mark is also another great safety feature for this race.
- Race Hat: Thanks to Shaw and Partners, every competitor will receive an awesome Vaikobi race hat.
- Pre- Race training runs: This weekend organizers will be running a Pre- Race Paddle on Sunday, November 11. Register at 20beaches.com.au
- Because ocean paddling needs your support! The sport has been fortunate to have some amazing people put their heads together to sponsor, support and organize these great races, all with the common goal to grow the sport of ocean paddling.
- Awesome fun! Just in case 10 was not enough. The 11th reason is simply because it is going to be awesome fun which you would not want to miss!
This is a lightly edited version of an article which originally appeared on the Vaikobi Blog.