The Week Ahead is a weekly column listing paddleboard & outrigger races and events across North America and select events from around the world. Races and events are a great way to meet new paddlers, travel to fun locations, try out different boards, and maybe even demo a new paddle craft! Not every race is super competitive. Even the ones which are typically have an event for recreational paddlers who just want to get out on the water and complete a course.
Paddleboard races are held on every body of water. Unlike in running where 5k and 10k events are the norm, there are currently no standard distances for paddleboard races. Most events offer a short course ranging from 1-3 miles and a long course ranging from 4-6 miles. Others offer single course tailored to the geography of the region. Races longer than 5 miles are often referred to as a distance race and are only recommended for experienced paddlers.
Outrigger canoe races take on a variety of forms from the popular OC-1 and OC-2 commonly seen racing alongside SUPs to the six man canoes (OC-6) used in offshore races around the world. There are even 9-man races, consisting of six paddlers in a canoe accompanied by an escort boat carrying three additional paddlers and a change coach. This format is typically reserved for long distance races.
Have fun and we’ll see you on the water!
Paddleboard & Outrigger Races and Events
Here’s what you need to know:
- 16-18 November: Vaikobi / Catfish Warehouse Sale – Sydney, Australia
- 17-18 November: Surfing Santa Competition – Dana Point, CA
- 18 November: Mangrove Clean Up with Rookery Bay Research Reserve – Naples, FL
- 18 November: Suncoast Paddle Poker Run and Drag Race 2017 Fall – Treasure Island, FL
- 19 November: 101 Surf Sports Winter Paddle Racing Series SR2 – San Rafael, CA
- 24 November: West Coast Paddle Sports Turkey Paddle 2017 – San Diego, CA
- 1 December: Quickblade Holiday Sale – Costa Mesa, CA
- 2 December: Becky Stuart Memorial 2017 – Official Registration – Oceanside, CA
- 2 December: 404 Moving Sale – San Juan Capistrano, CA
- 2 December: Silver River Race – Silver Springs, FL
- 2 December: 101 Surf Sports Winter Paddle Racing Series RWC#1 – Redwood City, CA
- 3 December: Paddle XTB honoring Terry Tomalin 2017 – St. Petersburg, FL
Is your local event listed on our calendar? If not, write in and let us know. We are adding new races and events each week!