Molokai to Oahu
Yes, the ultimate paddling challenge delivered in 2018 for prone, SUP and foil paddlers!
Kai Lenny demonstrated once again why he is in a league of his own by SUP foiling across the Channel of Bones with a ridiculously fast time of 2:52:48. “My goal was to do it in under three hours,” said Lenny at the finish. “I wouldn’t doubt if in the future we’re doing this race in two hours and thirty minutes or faster.”
Travis Grant reprised his role as the men’s unlimited SUP champion with a finishing time of 4:23:15 and Terrene Black claimed the women’s unlimited SUP title with a time of 5:25:27.
The conditions this year were reportedly some of the most challenging in recent memory as the wind howled and waves crashed throughout the open water tossing even the most experienced paddlers into the churning sea of blue.
Sayulita Jr. SUP Team Heading to the Pacific Paddle Games
We had the opportunity to interview Shelby Taylor-Jiménez a little over a year ago about her and now husband Bicho’s work with the Sayulita Jr. SUP Team. We’re pleased to learn they are planning a return trip to the Pacific Paddle Games with their amazing cadre of young paddlers and encourage you to lend your support to helping get them there by supporting their GoFundMe Campaign.
2018 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market
The first Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Denver, Colorado has come and gone. Thanks to the generous support of our sponsor Flagship Consulting Matt Chebatoris was able to make the trip from Los Angeles to the Mile High City where he did my best to log some additional miles as he crisscrossed the multiple levels of the Colorado Convention Center in search of new gear and products to highlight for readers. Hopefully you caught his live updates on our Instagram channel throughout the show.
Here’s a look at the top articles trending this week on PaddleXaminer.
- Outdoor Retailer 2018: Here’s What Caught My Eye at the Demo Day
- Outdoor Retailer 2018: Gear, Gear, and More Gear!
- Sustainable Swimwear: Zimzala Swim
- Review: Red Paddle Co 14ft Elite MSL Inflatable SUP
- Shelta: Innovative Sun Protection Hats Perfect for Paddling
Paddling events on the horizon
- 4 August: Ohio River Paddlefest – Cincinnati, OH
- 4 August: R10 Paddleboard Race – Redondo Beach, CA
- 11 August: Whitey Harrison 9-man Race – Dana Point, CA
- 11 August: SEA Paddle NYC – New York City, NY
- 18 August: The Mighty Cumberland River Run 2018 – Burkesville, KY
- 25 August: Standup for the Cure – Seattle, WA
- 25 August: Oceanside 9-man Race – Oceanside, CA
- 27-30 August: Paddlesports Retailer – Oklahoma City, OK
- 30 August – 2 September – Esposende & Viana Do Castelo, Portugal