Starboard SUP released their 2019 SUP Race Board range earlier this week. The global brand known for their unique “tiki” logo continues their commitment to innovate and provide annual updates to its lineup of SUP race boards. For every board sold, Starboard SUP has committed to picking up the equivalent of 200 plastic bags from the world’s coastlines. The brand also intends to plant one mangrove tree for each board sold with the goal of absorbing one ton of CO2 over the next 20 years. Here’s an overview of what’s on offer:
Starboard All Star
- From progressive level riders to elite racers. The All Star is a successful, user-friendly and versatile race design.
- The updated bottom shape is more stable when switching between strokes, allowing you to maintain a smooth and balanced glide without disrupting the speed.
- Narrower tail outline offers faster acceleration and gives you more glide with every stroke.
- The Flatter tail makes turning easier and gives a smooth release.
- The Boxy tail lets the waves push the board forwards on downwind courses.
- 14’0”x22.5” & 12’6”x23” All Star remain the lower-volume models with a thinner overall profile and the narrowest width for lighter riders.
- Target rider: Riders up to 115 kg.
- Key features: Boxy rails. Fast center channel, flatter tail concave, stable side planes.
- Conditions: All.
- The all-new 2019 Sprint – instant acceleration, direct turning and controlled stability.
- A refined bottom shape with a straighter channel, flatter side planes has a faster and more stable glide.
- The new extended standing area with straighter tail angle makes for more controlled trimming and buoy turning.
- Flat-rocker extends the glide for fastest speed, while the sunken standing area with high side rails gives stability and control in chop.
- Carbon Sandwich. Only available in the lightest, fastest and strongest Carbon Sandwich Technology.
- Target rider: Riders up to 115kg.
- Key features: Boxy rails. Fast center channel, flatter tail concave, stable side planes, sunken standing area, flat rocker.
- Conditions: Flat-water to small chop.
- Narrower nose outline for less resistance and better glide through waves.
- Refined nose design and rail height allows more pop and stability in chop.
- Lowered nose rocker and raised tail kick helps the swell push the board into bumps earlier and gives greater maneuverability when surfing on the tail.
- Widened inside tail gives more room for greater control and comfort when surfing and in buoy turns.
- High sidewalls block water entering the tray, offers increased pop & secondary stability, and greater control surfing on rail. New rounded rail edge in the sunken standing area makes for a friendlier entry getting into the board.
- Target rider: Riders up to 100kg.
- Key features: Outline with full nose and narrow tail, sunken standing area, high volume nose, curved rocker.
- Conditions: Open ocean, upwind and downwind races.