Paddling news from around the world
Mexican National SUP Championships
Erika Benitez earned a hat trick at the Mexican National SUP Championships with first place wins in the Sprints, Long Distance and Technical races. Benitez has been steadily rising in dominance through the ranks as a young paddler for several years now with impressive placings in top international competitions such as the Pacific Paddle Games and ISA World Championships. Her victories last weekend at the Mexican National SUP Championships in Puerto Vallarta earned her a return spot on the Mexican National Team scheduled to compete at the ISA World Championships in Brazil later this year.
Santa Cruz Paddlefest
The annual Santa Cruz Paddlefest kicks off this weekend in the scenic locale of Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, California. Paddlers from around the world have flocked to Northern California for what should be a fun filled weekend of wave riding and racing. I haven’t had the opportunity to attend the Paddlefest in person to get a feel for the event, but I like the fact it is open to all ocean going paddlecraft and has a little something for everyone. #bucketlist
Sustainable SUP Paddles
Colorado-based Grass Sticks has unveiled a range of bamboo SUP paddles. Sturdy and durable for the rugged whitewater of the Rocky Mountains, yet light enough for a day of touring or surfing, SUP Sticks bring a natural look and feel to the fastest growing sport in the outdoor industry.
“We are super stoked to introduce such a cool and unique new option for SUP paddlers,” said Grass Sticks chief designer Andrew Beckler. “This material feels great in your hand and its natural flex delivers really intuitive action.”
For Grass Sticks, performance is key, but it is also about being environmentally friendly. Industrially manufactured composite and aluminum shafts use an incredible amount of energy and place a burden on our environment. Per acre harvested, bamboo produces three times as much lumber as trees, absorbs more CO2, and produces more oxygen than any other plant. Read more about this cool, environmentally friendly development.
Coming in Hot
Stay tuned for Audrey Lee’s exclusive interview with Lanakila Outrigger Club paddlers Danny Ching and Ryland Hart as they endeavor to achieve their best performance as paddling partners in a number of upcoming events.
Paddling Events on the Horizon
Here’s what you need to know.
- 23-25 March: Santa Cruz Paddlefest – Steamer Lane| Santa Cruz, CA
- 24 March: Flying Fish Spring Paddle Challenge – Stuart, FL
- 6-8 April: Wild Buffalo Race Presented by Puakea Designs – Two Harbors, Catalina, CA
- 7 April: PC Paddle Classic 2018 – Panama City, FL
- 7 April: Calusa Palooza 2018 – Estero, FL
- 7 April: Kayak Trader Oyster City Challenge 2018 – Apalachicola, FL
- 7 April: Silver Blade International Regatta 2018 – San Diego, CA
- 13 April: Suncoast Paddle Poker Run and Drag Race Spring 2018 – Treasure Island, FL
- 13-15: Shark Bite Challenge 2018 – Dunedin, FL
- 14 April: Spring Splash 2018 – Orangevale, CA
- 14 April: Beaufort River Quest 2018 – Beaufort, SC
- 14 April: Kumu’ohu Challenge 2018 – Washington DC
- 15 April: Mike’s Paddle Sunday Fun Race Winter Series #6 2018 – Alameda, CA
- 19-22 April: Carolina Cup – Wrightsville Beach, NC
- 27-29 April: Spring Clean SUP Yoga Retreat – Hurricane, UT
- 28 April: Key West Paddle Classic 2018 – Key West, FL
- 28 April: Malibu Downwinder – Malibu, CA
- 28 April: 2018 San Diego Shaka Fest – San Diego, CA
- 28-29: Olukai Ho’olaule’a – Maliko Run | Maui, HI
- 28-29: Kern River Festival – Riverside Park | Kernville, CA